Last week, when we explored Gamma World mounts, we looked at the mounts that already exist in the game (only 3) and added three new ones out of the existing pool of Gamma World monsters. Today, I’d like to look beyond the Gamma World monsters, and see if we can find some appropriate mounts in in the compendium of D&D monsters (I’m pretty sure we can). But first, I’d like to present a new Gamma World monster that I designed specifically to be a mount.
I can’t say that the idea for this creature as a mount is my own. In fact, it comes from a semi-canonical source: the Gamma World novel Red Sails in the Fallout. Set in Australia, the main character rides a giant budgie as a mount. In that spirit, I’ve statted out this giant, semi-flightless bird* for your players to use in your Gamma World game:
*In the real world, budgies aren’t “semi-flightless.” They are quite capable of flight.
Since I made it in the Monster Builder, I had to set its origin as “Natural Beast,” rather than the correct “Terrestrial Beast.” I hope you can forgive me. You can download the monster builder file for the budgie here.
I do realize that Hella, from the other Gamma World novel Sooner Dead, also rode a mount – a giant lizard – but I think it will be easier to reskin an existing D&D monster to use as a similar mount. So with that being said, let’s dive into the monsters in the D&D compendium that are mounts. A quick search reveals 94 possibilities, but I’m going to cull them to only those that I like for Gamma World.
- Inix – The aforementioned giant lizard mount
- Giant Lizard (draft or riding) – Also a good reskin for the Sooner Dead mount
- Crodlu – Dinosaur-y, ostrich-y Dark Sun mount
- Fastieth – A domesticated riding velociraptor from Ebberon. I might add that a lot of the mounts from Ebberon I saw were domesticated dinosaurs. If you want a variety of dinosaur mounts, you can sort the compendium results by source.
- Rage Drake – Also a lizard/dinosaur type mount
- Giant Ant
- Kank Soldier – a giant insect
- Blade spider
- Diving Beetle & Sea Horse – for those times the characters need to be underwater
- Howler Doom Mastiff – for when the Podog just isn’t good enough
- Primal Sabretooth Tiger – How weird would it be for a Felinoid to use this as a mount? Awesomely weird.
- Rime Hound, Dire Wolf, Worg – Again, if you want more options for riding dogs than Podog
- Dire Boar – Imagine riding up to a band of Porkers on one of these.
Of course, you also have “mundane” mounts like riding horses, elephants, and camels, which might be good for temporary travel, or for characters without the Beast Rider vocation. Which, after all this talk about Gamma World mounts, seems like a pretty cool vocation to take.
Now it’s your turn. What D&D mounts that are good for Gamma World did I miss?