This post is part of a series where we explore good places to find Gamma World PC minis. If you want the rest of the series, click the “Article Series” link on the menu bar above. Please contact the seller if you are unsure of a mini’s size before you buy it. Caveat Emptor and all that.
So, if there’s one character origin that begs for a do-it-yourself mini, it’s gelatinous. (A close second is wheeled, but we’ll get to that another time.) I mean, how could you screw it up? You’re supposed to be this grotesque…blob. Even a three year old could do that. I mean, look at that picture there – my three year old did that with some play doh and a toothpick. Ok, maybe not, but getting some sculpy and fashioning it into a blobby lump approximately 1″ around isn’t exactly rocket science. You could probably also use water effects, which is a product I detailed in the “Well & Pool” post. At any rate, if you’re not feeling especially artsy and craftsy, here are some other ideas to bring your gelatinous mass to life. As usual, I’ve divided your choices into “unpainted” and “prepainted,” though I’m not sure if I should have bothered with the unpainted. I mean, if you’re the type of person to take the time to paint a mini, you could probably take the time to go the sculpy route.
So, there aren’t a ton of “ooze” minis out there, but if you think a little outside the box, you can find what you need. What do I mean by “outside the box” you ask? Elementals, of course. There are plenty of those, and they’re this kind of amorphous creature, not unlike an ooze. Personally, I favor water elementals for ooze-type minis, with air and fire tying for second, and earth a distant third. Unless, of course, you’re a gelatinous seismic, in which case earth elementals are pretty much perfect.
- Slimes, Undead Ooze – Reaper Undead Ooze?? Did someone say “Gelatinous Reanimated”??
- All Elementals - Reaper Sorry, I’m getting lazy.
- Make Your Own!! - Hirst Arts Not for the faint of heart.
- Air Elemental – West Wind Productions They probably have more, but I had a hard time navigating the store.
- Caller in Darkness - D&D Miniatures This is a size large mini, but it’s SO cool I had to include it. It looks like it could fit in a 1 inch square with some rebasing, though it might be top heavy.
- Flame Harrower – Dreamblade (also works for pyrokinetic)
- Acid Ooze - Mageknight
- Yochlol Tempter – D&D Miniatures Hands down my favorite of the prepainteds, and definitely would fit in a Gamma World game. Kind of reminds me of the blob guy from Monsters vs. Aliens. What was his name? Bob?
- Chillfire Destroyer – D&D Miniatures Might be large, I can’t tell.
- Spectral Magelord - D&D Miniatures
- Ice Archon, Fire Archon - D&D Miniatures
- Shadow, Living Flaming Sphere, Magma Hurler, Small Fire elemental, Medium Fire Elemental, Medium Water Elemental, Medium Air Elemental - D&D Miniatures
- Air Mephit, Fire Mephit, Magmin - D&D Miniatures The air mephit is especially good, though the fire mephit would work well for a hawkoid.
- Bloodhulk fighter, Medium Earth Elemental, Abyssal Maw - D&D Miniatures Kind of blobby?
- Ochre Jelly 1, Ochre Jelly 2, Lemure - D&D Miniatures Yup, there are some actual oozes in the D&D line.
- Sarmoth – WoW Minis
- Water Behemoth – Spartan Games
- Ice Elemental – Dark Age Games
- Air Elemental – Heroscape
- Mr. Friend, Hungry Ghost – Dreamblade
- Imaginary Friend – Horrorclix
So, just a heads up, I may be taking a break from this series for a while. I’m itching to do some other stuff, but when I come back to it, we’ll be covering….Simian